See the current Board of Management here: http://www.kilbonaneschool.com/board-of-management/

Board of Management Meeting 22/06/2022 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for June (to date) was 85%.
  • There are currently 103 pupils on roll.
  • Projected Numbers: 12 incoming Junior Infants; 12 x 6th Class pupils progressing, keeping numbers for 2022-23 at 103.
  • No policies were reviewed/updated at this meeting.
  • Advertisements for (i) SET Job Share and (ii) SNA Job Share are now live on www.educationposts.ie. Interviews will be held over the summer.
  • Special Education: The school has clustered with Bandonbridge NS for 18 days SET for 2022-23. The structure of those 18 days will be decided between the two schools in September.
  • Report Cards were made available on Aladdin on Monday 20 June.
  • Booklists are ready and will be emailed to parents in the coming days.
  • An Open Day for new Junior Infants was held on 15 June. Parents also completed POD forms/permission slips, etc.
  • The school’s Sciath na Scol team reached the final in their grouping and played Aghabullogue in Páirc Uí Chaoimh on 8 June. Unfortunately, our team lost but played really well on the day and were a credit to the school.
  • Returning to the issue raised at the previous meeting (possibility of Infant classes switching to tracksuit-only from 2022-23): The Board was unable to come to a decision at the previous meeting. The staff discussed the issue at a recent staff meeting and decided, on balance, that the better option was to stick with uniform and tracksuit. The Parents Association were informed of this. The Board discussed the issue again and decided that on balance, things will remain as they are – at least for now. The Board was conscious that a decision needed to be made and parents notified. The Board is open to revisiting the issue in the future.
  • Covid-19: Enhanced cleaning will remain for now. There have been a number of cases recently. Parents are being informed as they occur and have also been reminded that 7 days’ isolation are required for positive cases.
  • A fire drill was held on 22 June.
  • The Parents Association held two fundraising cake sales on 27 May and 17 June. 5th/6th Class and 3rd/4th Class provided the baking and ran the sale. Pupils purchased an item for €1 or 50c. Both days were successful and the funds raised went towards paying for buses. We hope to have an ice-cream van on 27 June and the PA will fund this.
  • The PA organised a fundraising table quiz recently in Hickeys Bar. This was a great success and raised approximately €800
  • Cathal thanked the Board for all their work throughout the year.

Board of Management Meeting 11/05/2022 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for May (to date) was 89.6%.
  • There are currently 103 pupils on roll.
  • Projected Numbers: 12 incoming Junior Infants; 12 x 6th Class pupils progressing, keeping numbers for 2022-23 at 103.
  • Scheduled PDST support for staff in the area of the new Primary Language Curriculum (PLC) will take place on Friday 20 May. There will also be support in the comprehension programme ‘Building Bridges of Understanding’. This PDST support will require a full-day closure.
  • No policies were reviewed/updated at this meeting.
  • The Department of Education has cut the school’s SET hours to 47.5 (meaning we no longer have two full-time SET teachers. Instead we will have one full-time and one teacher for whom Kilbonane NS will be the base school. Our school will cluster with Bandonbridge for the coming year (Special Education). Kilbonane NS will need to supply 18 days of support. This arrangement will be finalised in the coming months.
  • The Parents Association are organising a fundraising cake sale on Friday 27 May. 5th and 6th Class pupils will provide the baking and run the sale. Pupils can purchase an item for €1 (or 50c for smaller items).
  • The Parents Association approached the school about the possibility of Infant Classes switching to tracksuit only from 2022-23. The parents of current Infant classes were surveyed and 62.5% were in favour. The Board discussed the advantages/disadvantages of such a change and can see both sides of the argument. A decision could not be reached. The staff will discuss the issue at the next staff meeting. The Board will make a decision at the next board meeting (June).
  • The Parents Association are organising a fundraising table quiz and will call to the school in late May for 2 questions from each class to incorporate into the quiz.
  • The Sciath na Scol hurling team has made it to the final. This game will be played in Páirc Uí Rinn in either late May/early June. The aim will be for every pupil to go to the game in support.
  • Charlie has rotovated and re-seeded the areas beside the tarmac path.
  • The Board discussed the necessity of the school purchasing a brush for maintaining the astro pitch (approx cost €1,100). This will not be required until approximately the end of the 2022-23 school year.
  • Covid-19: All restrictions (ie pods, class bubbles, etc) have been lifted. However, enhanced cleaning must continue for the moment.
  • The school will hold a fire drill in the second half of Term 3 (ie late May/early June).

Board of Management Meeting 16/02/2022 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for February (to date) was 89.3%.
  • There are currently 103 pupils on roll.
  • Projected Numbers: 13 incoming Junior Infants (to be confirmed after 1 March).
  • There will be two sessions of PDST support for staff in the area of the new Primary Language Curriculum (PLC): The second of these will require a full-day closure on Friday 20 May. Parents have been notified of the closure.
  • The Board reviewed and ratified the following policies: (i) Child Safeguarding Statement and Risk Assessment (ii) Review of the Child Safeguarding Statement (iii) Job Share Policy. These will be published on the school website in the coming days.
  • Parental involvement: (i) The Parents Association hope to do the traditional pancake cooking on Shrove Tuesday. They will discuss and if they feel they can socially-distance (and wear FFP2 masks), then it will go ahead (ii) The PA are also wondering about the possibility of hosting the traditional party for First Communion children in the school. Due to the certain presence of siblings and other family members mixing, it seems unlikely. However the PA will discuss and see if there is some way for it to go ahead safely.
  • A slate has come loose on the hall roof. This has been taken down and will be reinstalled by a local roofer.
  • Covid-19: the same arrangements (pods, class bubbles, enhanced cleaning, etc) continue. Mask wearing is mandatory for 3rd Class pupils upwards however NPHET may advise this to be dropped in the coming weeks. We await their advice.
  • Two assistive technology applications (laptop and speaker system) were approved by the Department of Education and are currently in use in the school.
  • 4 x HEPA filters have been ordered for the school – one for each mainstream classroom.
  • A fire drill will be scheduled for some time in March.
  • First Communion will take place on Saturday 7 May
  • Confirmation will take place on Tuesday 5 April.
  • School Tours: (i) Infants to 2nd Class: Mardyke on 21 June (ii) 3rd/4th Class: Ballyhass on 24 June (iii) 5th/6th Class: Oysterhaven on 21 June.

 

Board of Management Meeting 08/12/2021 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for December (to date) was 71.8%. The drop in attendance is due to a Covid-19 outbreak in late November/early December. The outbreak seems to have stabilised and pupils are now gradually returning to school.
  • There are currently 103 pupils on roll.
  • The planned PDST support on the new Primary Language Curriculum – scheduled for 1 December – has been postponed, due to the substitute shortage. PDST advisers are being redeployed to schools. It is hoped that the planned PDST support can take place in Term 2
  • The Board reviewed and ratified the following policies: (i) Anti-Bullying Policy (ii) Mobile Phone, Smartwatch and Electronic Games Policy. These will be published on the school website in the coming days.
  • Parental involvement: (i) The Parents Association organised a very successful fundraiser via a Christmas Cards project (ii) The PA provided refreshments for the official opening of the all-weather pitch on 26 November. This was very much appreciated and the Board expresses their thanks (iii) The PA recently organised a clothing collection on behalf of SVP (iv) The PA will organise Santa/selection boxes for the children on 22 December. 
  • Work on the all-weather pitch has been completed and the invoice for the work has been received.
  • The school has installed LED lights in the four mainstream classrooms. Hopefully this will result in lower electricity bills in the future
  • Covid-19: the same arrangements as in 2020-21 (pods, class bubbles, enhanced cleaning, etc) to continue for 2021-22. The Antigen testing programme has begun and is working well. Mask wearing is now mandatory for 3rd Class pupils upwards. Parents have been very supportive of this measure. Their support is, as aways, very much appreciated.
  • A Red-Weather Wind Warning (Storm Barra) resulted in the closure of the school on 7 and 8 December. A thorough inspection was carried out on 8 December and luckily, there was no damage done to the school.
  • A fire drill took place on 13 October. Another fire drill will be held in Term 2.

 

Board of Management Meeting 27/09/2021 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for September was 92.6%
  • There are currently 103 pupils on roll.
  • The Board discussed numbers and agreed on the number of places that will be made available in Junior Infants for the 2022-23 academic year. This number will be published in the Admission Notice 2022-23 on 1 October on the school website.
  • Mairead O’Sullivan is currently pursuing a Postgraduate Diploma in Special Educational Needs. This will involve 8 weeks of full-time study, broken into 4 and 2-week blocks. There is sub cover for the duration.
  • Staff will receive training from the PDST on the use of Digital Portfolios on Tuesday 12 October.
  • Staff will have inservice training on the new Primary Language Curriculum on Friday 22 October. The Department of Education has sanctioned a half-day for this inservice.
  • The Board reviewed and ratified the following policies: (i) Plean Scoile Policy Statement (ii) Admission Policy (iii) Code of Behaviour (iv) Critical Incident Policy (v) Anti-Bullying Policy (vi) Health and Safety Policy
  • Hurling Training is commencing tomorrow 28 September with Infant Classes.
  • The ‘Cycle to School’ (organised by Aherla Active and the Parents Association) on Friday 17 September was a great success. The Board expressed their thanks to the organisers, as well as to Centra Aherla for supporting the event.
  • The Parents Association are hoping to organise a fundraiser via a Christmas Cards project – children will design their own cards and families can purchase them.
  • Work on the all-weather pitch has begun and should be completed by the mid term (ie 22 October).
  • Lehane Tarmac will hopefully be in a position to re-tarmac the basketball court during the break.
  • The school electrician will call in the coming week to inspect and advise on the installation of LED lights in the four mainstream classrooms. 
  • The HSE’s immunisation/health screening programmes will begin in the coming months.
  • Covid-19: the same arrangements as in 2020-21 (pods, class bubbles, enhanced cleaning, etc) to continue for 2021-22
  • We will have a fire drill this term (November)
  • First Holy Communion took place on 4 September
  • Confirmation took place on 24 September

 

Board of Management Meeting 22/06/2021 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for May was 95.7%
  • There are currently 98 pupils on roll.
  • Class Allocations and booklists will be emailed to parents on Wednesday 23 June.
  • The Board discussed the possibility of the school becoming ‘nut-free’ in 2021-22. Cathal informed the Board that for the coming academic year, the 1st/2nd, 3rd/4th and 5th/6th Classrooms will have pupils who have nut allergies. Many schools have gone ‘nut-free’ and the Board agreed that this would be the best approach for the school. The Board approved the proposal and the school will become ‘nut-free’ in 2021/22. 
  • Book Rental: There has been a very positive response. The school will have to buy a small number of books for the coming academic year. The Parents Association have indicated that they will source covers for any book that doesn’t have one.
  • ‘Sherpa’ were approached regarding the possibility of before/after-school care but they reluctantly declined due to insufficient numbers. The Parents Association are surveying the parents and will consult with another company to determine if such a programme can run. The Board will wait to see if there is any progress on this.
  • All Weather pitch update: Work is estimated to begin end of July/early August, with work to be completed by the end of September. The yard should be usable by pupils from late August/early September. The fundraising is going well and it looks like Aherla Active will reach the target of €35,000 in time for the completion of the works.
  • Basketball Court update: It is aimed that this will be completed at the end of the all-weather pitch process.
  • Covid-19: The Department of Education have indicated that schools will be following the same guidelines in 2021-22 regarding enhanced cleaning, PPE, pods, etc. We will continue with social distancing guidelines – morning arrangements, etc – until new guidance is issued by the Department.
  • Celebrations: An ice-cream van has been booked for Thursday 24 June.
  • Sacramental Preparations: First Communion (next year’s 3rd Class) will take place on 4 September 2021 and Confirmation (current 6th Class and 1st Years) will take place on 16 July 2021.

 

Board of Management Meeting 24/05/2021 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for April was 96.5%
  • There are currently 98 pupils on roll.
  • The Board reviewed and ratified the following curricular policies: (i) Music Plan (ii) Visual Arts Plan (iii) Drama Plan (iv) SPHE Plan (v) PE Plan
  • The NCSE has confirmed that there will be no change to our allocation of SNA support for 2021-22. This means we will continue to have two full-time SET teachers as well as one full-time SNA.
  • Extra-Curricular: There is hurling training on Mondays for the Junior classes and football training on Thursdays for the senior classes.
  • The Parents Association are looking into the possibility of the Sherpa programme in the school (separate before and after school childcare). They are going to email parents to gauge the level of interest. The Board discussed the programme and agreed to wait to hear from the Parents Association about the level of interest before the school would approach the Sherpa programme.
  • There has been a positive response by parents in relation to the book rental scheme. We will have final numbers of books by early to mid-June.
  • The Board discussed replacing our fluorescent lighting with LED’s. It was agreed that we should tackle this in stages – replace the bulbs, fittings, etc in the four main classrooms initially. Also agreed that we will wait until the new academic year to do this.
  • The Board discussed the all-weather pitch project again. The Aherla Active Community Group and the Parents Association will work together with the school to bring the project to fruition. The Board examined the school finances and agreed to commit €35,000 towards the total (approx €70,000). Cathal brought 4 quotations to the Board and Hourihan Sports Development was selected as the best overall choice for the project. The Aherla Active group feels that the remaining €35,000 can be raised through corporate sponsorship and community donations. 
  • The Board decided that the basketball court re-tarmac should be put on hold until the all-weather pitch is in place.

 

Board of Management Meeting 28/04/2021 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for March was 97.8%
  • There are currently 98 pupils on roll.
  • There are 15 incoming Junior Infants for 2021-22. With 11 pupils in 6th Class progressing to second-level, this will result in an increase of 4 pupils, bringing us to 102 pupils.
  • Due to next year’s Job Share between Mrs Jakubowski and Mrs O’Riordan, there will be one fixed-term position in the school for 2021-22. This position will be filled by Ms O’Driscoll due to CID status.
  • The Board reviewed and ratified the following policies: (i) Plean Scoile don Ghaeilge (ii) English Policy (iii) Maths Policy (iv) History Policy (v) Geography Policy (vi) Science Policy
  • The NCSE has confirmed that there will be no change to our allocation of SET support for 2021-22. No confirmation yet regarding SNA access.
  • Tag Rugby (Emmett O’Callaghan – Munster Rugby) has resumed and will continue on Tuesdays with 3rd to 6th Class.
  • The staff have selected (1) ‘Planet Maths’ – 3rd to 6th Class (2) ‘Starlight’ – 1st to 6th Class to add to the book rental scheme. The Parents Association and school will discuss how best to organise the logistics around purchasing books from parents, book coverings, etc.
  • Three quotations have been received for the basketball court. We may be putting this project on hold for the short term, due to below.
  • The Board are looking at the possibility of installing an all-weather pitch on the current field site. This would be financed by a mixture of the school’s own funds, as well as local fundraising. If this were to go ahead in the near future, the basketball court would need to be put on hold, as heavy machinery needed for the job could not drive over new tarmac without causing damage. The school will investigate the matter further before commencing any project.
  • The school will investigate the possibility of switching our fluorescent lighting to LED’s.
  • There was a recent SSPS inspection of the school (Covid-19 and Child Protection inspection). The school was found to be fully compliant.
  • The school held a fire drill on 28 April.
  • School Tours have been provisionally booked. We are awaiting guidance from the Department of Education with regard to bus travel.

 

Board of Management Meeting 02/03/2021 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for December 2020 was 96.7%
  • There are currently 99 pupils on roll.
  • Ms Davis has applied for parental leave, unpaid leave and parents leave until the end of the current academic year. The BoM approved of the application.
  • Mrs Jakubowski and Mrs O’Riordan have jointly applied to Job-Share for the 2021-22 academic year. The BoM approved of the application.
  • Ms MacMahon will be getting married in late May 2021. She has applied for wedding leave. The BoM approved of the application.
  • The Board reviewed and ratified the following policies: (i) Child Safeguarding Statement (ii) Child Safeguarding Risk Assessment (iii) Review of the Child Safeguarding Statement.
  • The BoM formally adopted the Government’s Updated Covid-19 Response Plan.
  • The Parents Association are planning to organise an Easter Egg hunt for the pupils on the final day before the current term ends.
  • The Parents Association asked that the BoM consider adding another book per class level to the book rental scheme. This would involve an outlay of approximately €1,850. The BoM approved of the proposal and the staff will meet to determine which books would be of the most benefit.
  • The basketball court is prone to flooding. The BoM discussed the issue and it was agreed that quotations should be sought from a number of tarmac providers to remedy the issue.
  • Updated guidance from the government has resulted in new ventilation guidelines for staff, as well as the provision of surgical-grade masks for all SET’s and SNA’s.
  • A fire drill will be carried out before the Easter holidays.
  • Sacramental Preparations are on hold for the moment, due to Covid-19.

 

Board of Management Meeting 07/12/2020 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for November 2020 was 97.7%
  • There are currently 99 pupils on roll.
  • Mrs Jakubowski will be on maternity leave for the remainder of the 2020-21 academic year. Ms Burns is her replacement.
  • Ms Davis will be on maternity leave until the end of March 2021. Ms Spillett is her replacement.
  • Five Transition Year students were approved by the Board for work experience in February. All health and saftey guidelines re Covid-19 will be observed and Garda vetting is being organised for any students who will be 16 years of age during the work experience.
  • The Board reviewed and ratified the following policies: (i) Plean Scoile Policy Statement (ii) Admission Policy (iii) Code of Behaviour (iv) Critical Incident Policy (v) Anti-Bullying Policy (vi) Health & Safety Policy (vii) Special Education Policy (viii) Remote Learning Policy
  • The Parents Association and school are clubbing together to purchase class hoodies for 6th Class. It is envisaged that this will become an annual tradition. 
  • The Parents Association are hoping to persuade Santa to call on the last day of term. It is planned that he will appear at the classroom windows to see the children. The PA will have selection boxes in the classrooms ready for distribution by teachers.
  • Basketball boards/nets/movable basketball nets have been purchased for the school and installed.
  • A new school bell with timer has been purchased and installed.
  • A new part for the water treatment house will need to be sourced – approximately €800 + VAT.
  • First Holy Communion took place last September but Confirmation was cancelled due to Level 3 (and subsequently Level 5) restrictions.
  • Sacramental Preparations are on hold for the moment, due to Covid-19.

 

Board of Management Meeting 30/06/2020 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for March 2020 was 96.6%
  • It is expected there will be 101 pupils on roll for 2020-21.
  • Ms Davis and Mrs Jakubowski will be on maternity leave during 2020-21 and interviews will be held for their replacements.
  • The SSE Report and School Improvement Plan for 2020-22 were discussed and approved by the Board.
  • It is likely that a Covid-19 Policy will be required before the school re-opens on 31 August.
  • The staff will meet during the summer to discuss re-opening plans, order PPE equipment, etc.
  • Charlie has erected 2 fences on either side of the school.
  • The First Holy Communion and Confirmation are expected to go ahead in the first term – although due to the backlog of weddings, etc, this may be pushed int0 2021. Canon Donovan will make contact with parents to arrange these ceremonies.
  • The May 5k was cancelled until 2021.

 

Board of Management Meeting 09/03/2020 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for February 2020 was 96.5%
  • Projected numbers for next year: 8 leaving; 15 incoming Junior Infants so we should have 101 pupils on roll for 2020-21.
  • As recommended by the Cigire in at an SSE visit in November 2019, the staff have examined the new Primary Language Curriculum and identified the element of Handwriting. As part of the SSE process, they will consult with parent and pupils, develop a school improvement plan by the end of the current academic year and then implement that plan in the 2020-21 academic year.
  • The Board reviewed and approved of the following policies: (i) Child Safeguarding Statement (ii) Child Safeguarding Risk Assessment (iii) Review of Child Safeguarding Statement (iv) NQT Policy (v) Admission Policy (vi) Admission Notice
  • The Admission Policy and Admission Notice will not take effect until the 2020-21 academic year
  • Cathal will forward the Admission Policy to the Diocesan Office for patron approval
  • Special Education – there has been no decision yet from DES/NCSE regarding the application for SNA access for the coming academic year. Cathal has consulted with the SENO, who said he was waiting on a decision from NCSE and to send applications as normal. Cathal informed the Board that he has applied for SNA access for a small number of pupils and will report to the Board if there are any further developments.
  • Grandparents Day on 29 January was very successful. Cathal and the Board expressed their thanks to Parents Association for providing refreshments.
  • The Parents Association cooked and served pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. Again, the Board wished to express their thanks.
  • The Parents Association have been consulted on the above policies.

 

Board of Management Meeting 27/01/2020 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for January 2020 was 96.8%
  • Projected numbers for next year: 8 leaving; 10-15 incoming so estimated to be approximately 96-101 pupils for 2020-21.
  • The following policies were reviewed, discussed and updated by the Board: (i) Enrolment Policy (ii) Code of Behaviour (iii) Critical Incident Policy (iv) Anti-Bullying Policy (v) Health and Safety Policy (vi) Special Education Policy
  • A new Policy – Protected Disclosures Policy – was discussed and approved by the Board.
  • We will have our Grandparents Day on Wednesday 29 January. We will have Mass in the hall and the Parents Association will provide refreshments for the grandparents.
  • Our Open Evening for new/prospective parents will be held on Monday 3 February. 6th Class will give a guided tour of the school and the Parents Association will again provide refreshments.
  • There will be a ‘Ficheall’ Chess Tournament in Ballinora GAA Hall 28 January (5th and 6th Class).
  • Spikeball tournament 5 February (5th and 6th Class).
  • Tag Rugby is due to restart on/around 14 February (1st Class upwards).
  • Rowing is due to start on 26 February for 4 sessions (5th and 6th Class). The Parents Association have kindly agreed to once again fund these sessions.
  • Gymnastics is starting 23 April for 4 sessions (all classes).
  • The First Communion will be on 16 May.
  • The Confirmation will be on 21 May.

 

Board of Management Meeting 27/05/2019 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance for April 2019 was 97.8%
  • It is predicted we will have 94 pupils on roll for 2019-20.
  • The SNA allocations have been published by the NCSE. We will retain our full-time SNA for the coming year.
  • Three school policies were reviewed – (i) Special Education (ii) Healthy Eating (iii) Cork City Sports. The Board ratified these policies.
  • The Digital Learning Plan and it is now available on the school website and can be found here: http://www.kilbonaneschool.com/digital-learning-plan.
  • Denis Canty has volunteered to have a look at the yard flooding issue.
  • The Board discussed the matter of parents driving children to games, tournaments, etc, and decided that from the 2019-20 academic year we will use buses exclusively for school outings. To pay for these buses, parents will be asked to contribute an amount at the outset of the school year. This will cover the cost of all school trips, games, swimming, etc. However the school tours will be paid for separately. The Board agreed to review this in a year’s time.
  • The Cork City Sports will take place on Thursday 30 May.
  • There will be a cross-country run in Firmount on Friday 7 June. The whole school will take part.
  • The Open Day for the new Infants will take place on Wednesday 12 June.
  • Booklists will be emailed out to parents in the coming days and J&K Books will come to the school on Monday 17 June. Parents can order their child’s books in advance and avail of 10% discount.
  • Report cards will be available on Aladdin from Monday 17 June.
  • In total there was approximately €2,500 raised by the Golf Fundraiser. John O’Mahony expressed his thanks to all involved.
  • There was €1150 raised by the 5k fun run. Next year’s date will probably be pushed back by about a week so as not to clash with other events. The night was a great success and Anne Bruen praised the great support by families.

 

Board of Management Meeting 04/03/2019 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance of 96.5% for February 2019.
  • Open night for 2019 – 8 definite new pupils for September 2019 (possibly 9) – 92/93 Pupils predicted for 2019/2020 year.
  • Mairead O’Sullivan will be returning for the 2019-2020 school year.
  • Emma O’Riordan will continue on her secondment next year so there will be a fixed-term position in the school.
  • The board reviewed and ratified both the Child Safeguarding Statement and Child Safeguarding Risk Assessment.
  • Staff are currently reviewing the Healthy Eating Policy which will be brought to the board at the next meeting.
  • The staff have started work on the Digital Learning Action Plan (part of the Digital Learning Framework).
  • Gymnastics has started and will run on Thursdays for 5 weeks.
  • Sciath na Scol Hurling competition for 2019 will be starting the week of the 18th of March.
  • The ipad trolley is still only charging half of the devices. Currently quotes to fix it are too expensive and we are awaiting a better option. Declan will ask the IT team he works with for some advice.
  • There is a flooding concern on the yard – heavy rainfall results in the basketball court becoming flooded in a matter of minutes. The water doesn’t seem to have anywhere to drain and the court can often be out of use or at least a section of it for the day/days afterwards. Cathal is going to seek some advice on the matter before the next meeting.
  • Macroom Golf Club has been provisionally booked for a Golf Classic school fundraiser on Friday the 3rd of May. The course is booked from 1.30 – 4.30pm on the day.
  • The Parents Association 5km Fun run in Farran Wood will take place on the 16th May this year.

 

Board of Management Meeting 26/11/2018 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance of 97.4% for October 2018.
  • Ellie Burns was appointed to the fixed-term position (covering Ms Davis’ maternity leave) and began officially on 26th November 2018.
  • The Board read through a draft ‘Split Class Policy’  The policy was ratified and will be available on the school website in the coming days. The policy will also be emailed to the parents.
  • Ms MacMahon and Mr Brophy attended a ‘Digital Learning Framework’ seminar in the West Cork Education centre on Tuesday 20 November. Every school must develop a DLF plan over the course of this year and the staff will begin work on this in January 2019.
  • The Christmas show will take place on Monday 17 December and the Christmas Carols at the Airport will be on Thursday 20 December.
  • Feedback from the U-10’s disco (organised and run by the Parents Association) was very positive.
  • The iPad trolley is only charging about half the iPads. This has been reported to our IT person and he will call soon to examine same.
  • The Board has decided to donate €2k to the Parents Association to help fund the sensory garden.

 

Board of Management Meeting 08/10/2018 – Agreed Report

  • Attendance of 97.1% for September 2018.
  • The Book Fair is starting on the 16th October – 6th Class will run it for the week.
  • There will be a West Cork Music Brass Band Performance in the school on the Wednesday the 7th of November.
  • The Christmas Show is booked for Monday the 17th December in Éire Óg Hall.
  • On the 19th of November there will be a Barretstown Camp with 5th & 6th Class
  • Tag Rugby started on the 5th of October and will run on Fridays for the next 5 or 6 weeks.
  • Rowing is booked for next February for 5th & 6th Class.
  • The Parents Association are organising a Sensory Garden and there will be discussion between the Board and the PA re funding.
  • Policies reviewed & ratified by the board – Child Safeguarding Statement, Risk Assessment Statement, Enrolment Policy, Code of Behaviour, Critical Incident Policy, Anti-Bullying Policy, Health & Safety Policy.
  • The Board looked at a draft policy for Split Classes should it be required at some stage.
  • The Presidential Election is on the 26th of October and there will be no school.